Introducing Sister Sierra Brooksby...

Hello my beautiful Brothers and Sisters!
I am Sister Sierra Brooksby! I suppose it's that time... Time to write and introduction and tell you all about myself. To be honest, theres a lot to say about me! I suppose the thing you'd want to know though, is where I am serving and when! I will be reporting to the Provo MTC On December 30th, 2015. I will be serving in the Seoul Korea South mission. It's a very exciting call for me and I'm totally pumped to share the gospel with my Korean friends!
For more information about all my adventures, keep up on my lovely blog which will, with great hope, be weekly maintained by my gorgeous mother. So you all soon! ;) Stay strong!

Here is the address you can write a letter to me:
MTC
Sister Sierra Brooksby Mar01-Kor-seos
2005 North 900 East Unit 8 Provo Utah 84602

Mission Address: (After March)
Sister Sierra Brooksby
Korea Seoul South Mission
29 wiryeseong-daero 22-gil songpa-gu Seoul
teukbyeolsi 05655 South Korea




Monday, July 4, 2016

The Farewell Preparation June 26, 2016

Hello everyone! I hope you're all having an amazing week! I know I am! :D

So our mission president is going home in 2 days. Its been so great to have him as our mission president and I know everyone here will miss him a bunch! My companion had her exit interview with him this past Friday and she was the last person he interviewed. My companion is also going home at the end of the transfer- next Wednesday- along with two other Elders in my District. So we are all getting ready for them to leave. Its a bittersweet time in the mission for sure, but we are all looking forward with readiness to see the new growth and change in the mission! There's a lot of new, exciting things lying ahead, and I'm so excited to see them!
Also, we had ward conference, and the Bishop was released and a new bishop (the old WML) is the new Bishop now! So there's some newness there too. 
This week We met with lots of members and Less actives. Its also the start of typhoon season here, so its going to rain like crazy for the next 3 weeks! Then it will be super hot and humid. I can't say I look forward to that at all, but gratefully that time will pass super quickly. I'm not a fan of heat haha. 
We met with an American family who attends the Korean ward and I was talking the the 5 year old son. He was telling me about food. He said "Rice is an American food, and meat is a Korean food." So I asked him "Well, what about steak?" And he responded "Steak is... steak."  XD So adorable.
I went to the dentist this week for a filling that fell out. Its funny because our old bishop is the secretary there XD then they told me only to eat soft things for a while, but right after we had the appointment we were going to eat and ended up eating meat and rice. I chewed on the other side though! So its okay.
We were visiting a less active, but they didn't answer the door, so we decided to call. We dialed the number, then heard ringing! So both of us were like, what?! And we heard someone pick up the ringing phone, but ours was still dialing. So it was a weird coincidence. Crazy timing phone call. XD 
Hmmm... I usually write what I'm going to email about, but I didn't this week, so I forgot most of what I was going to say! Maybe instead I will tell you about what I learned this week.
I've been thinking a lot about baptizing every week- because its a great goal! But also not an easy one to accomplish. I've been thinking about it in terms of faith before. I know that God will help us do what He asks us to do as we work hard to accomplish it, and I have faith in His promises. A few days ago I was brushing my teeth, thinking about it again and a thought came to my mind. "You just need to be more patient." I know that God's timing is different than mine, but I think I wasn't applying to the idea of baptizing every week. I mistakenly thought that as we receive the command we can say as Nephi in 1 Ne 3:7. But in relation to patience I also thought about how Nephi and his brothers tried 2 times before they got the plates. Nephi undoubtedly had faith that they COULD obtain the plates, but even he didn't know WHEN. We can and will baptize every week, but that may not happen for a while. Until then I need to work to prepare myself and my investigators for that moment. 
On another note, I've also studied about love, charity, and service. As a missionary, its easy to think that the big events on your mission are what make you a good missionary. Its easy to focus on what you think will make you successful. There's so much more to it than that. My goal before my mission was to follow God and do as He would have me do. I wanted to be an influence on others for good the way He wants me to. My goal has not changed, it just means even more to me now than it did before. I just want to do what He wants me to do. Even if what He wants me to do is the simple, every day things that people don't see. Even if its just that I can bear testimony every day to the people on the street, to my companion, and to myself. Even if everything I do here seems like it will have no lasting effect, I will do it. Because that's why I came here. 
Also, I was reading the book about President Howard W Hunter. Page 155, whatever chapter that is, talks about "True greatness". And how true greatness is not found in the large things we do, but in the simple every day things. I want to be the kind of missionary who is truly great. I want to serve and love in the simple ways, the way Christ would, with His love. Each and every one of us can serve that way, not only on a mission, but in our normal lives. As we look to serve and uplift those around us we will find that we lose ourselves. We will focus not on what ails us, but what heals them, and find that healing comes to us in return.
A lot of missionaries that return home are scared. They are scared about college, dating, money, etc sure, but I will tell you what they are the most scared of: themselves. When you serve a mission, you serve a mission. If you're really serving the way you need to serve, you won't focus on yourself, but on others. Every thought, idea, energy, is spent for others. You don't worry about your needs, or your wants. And then, you go home. You don't have anyone else to thing about. You have yourself. That's why its scary. 
So friends and family, if you find yourself worrying too much, or that you're too stressed, its because you're thinking too much about yourself. You want to be happy? Stop thinking about YOU! That's what will make you happy. The reason happy missionaries are happy is because they spent their time thinking about how to make others happy. 
Of course, I'm not perfect. Sometimes, I'm selfish. Sometimes, I'm prideful. I don't always serve, and I don't always do what's right. So maybe I'm not the authority on love, service, and perfection, but I have experienced happiness. I hope you are all happy, and that you find yourself as you lose yourself! I love you all! Have a great week!

Hurrah! Hurrah! Hurrah for Israel!

No comments:

Post a Comment